Thursday, May 10, 2012

Butterfly Chronicles Volume 38: Me-Gideon


"O my lord, if the Lord is with us, why then has all this happened to us?"
  

I am overwhelmed with sadness, guilt, shame, self loathing, and all that jazz.  And covered, shrouded, engulfed by butterflies.  Everywhere, they are just everywhere.

I’ve become Gideon.  Trying hard to just call the butterflies a myth, not real, imagined, not from God – like I’m daring Him to skip a day and at the same exact moment absolutely hoping He won’t.

Everything’s all jumbled and making no sense.

The list of all the ways I went wrong with Zach is a line around the building kind of long.  Peter MD always asks me if I’m isolating.  Yes, as much as possible.  It’s too hard to be around people and “be” normal – like I will ever be normal again – I'm the self that mothered Zach into the grave.  I don’t want anyone’s opinion on how I should think differently or better or Godly or holy or trusting or whatever the advice might be.  Put my shoes on and then you can say whatever you want.  Otherwise, be quiet.  Is this the angry, depressed, hopeless stage of grief.  Who cares.

There’s still a black worm hole in my mind where the knowledge of what’s happened is hidden.  After almost 8 months, the almost time it took to grow Zach in my womb, I still can’t connect what happened to real reality.  Lately, the movie of that night is played over and over and over in my brain like it happened to someone else but my mind understands it happened to us but at the same time won’t believe that it happened at all – when is Zach coming home?  Your football jersey hangs empty, waiting.  Come home.

I drift into sleep the images playing and wake to them in the morning.  The reel looping around and around again and again. Things don’t get better, just different and harder as the time lapses and I don’t want to be around people who think I should be living all is well when I can’t even look at his pictures.  My stomach lurches when I see him, look at him, remember that last moment of him, how him there on the floor is my fault.  How does a mother not want to see her boy?  How can that be right?  Pictures too painful. Another mother thing I don't have right. 

So many can’ts in life now.  Can’t look at his photo.  Can’t sleep without dread dreams.  Can’t help wanting and needing to isolate from people.  Can’t feel hope. Can’t talk about it.  Can’t socialize.  Can’t listen to what others think I should or should not do.  Don’t care.  Can’t know what I know to be true is true.  God.  He’s true and real and alive.  But right now I’m Gideon.  Make the ground wet, and me dry.  Rain on me, but keep the ground dry.  One butterfly, 10 butterflies, a hundred, a thousand, every every every day butterflies and still You must show me more.  Show me it’s You.  Tell me Zach is warm and cuddled and loved by a better love than I failed to give him.  I want to know and believe and know.

I can only write it down trying to make sense of the senseless.  Don’t make me speak words out loud – the price is too high, a price I can’t survive.  I can’t be me and I don’t know who I am supposed to be.  I don't like the me I've been.  Make me invisible or make me new again.

When God knew how this parenting mothering would turn out, why didn’t He give Zach to someone else?  Someone who could get it right.  Someone who could grow him all the way to grown-up.  Mother’s day…and my son is dead. And motherhood is so scary now.  A mystery of how to be different, squeeze out a different ending, fix what’s broken; with Zach it’s too late.  Too late.  Forever too late for me to mother my son and get it right.  And my daughters – how do I get it right with them?  How does a broken mother – mother?  And they are precious, and I love them with my whole self and do they know and feel and see and hear that love?  Zach on the floor - somehow, I did it all wrong. This mothering.  Now, how do I get it right, better, different, or is it the same?  And if I didn’t know with Zach, how can I know ever at all?

Right now I feel I deserve to feel a floundering failure, hanging off the edge of a cliff, only air under my feet, barely clinging to a life with a road ahead.  Barely.  So many times in reliving the life history of my life’s mistakes, I wondered if God would punish me by taking my child or children.  I shared this with another mother who shared the same feelings with me.  Is this punishment because it sure doesn’t feel like grace unless the grace is for Zach and God saving him from me.  If this is self pity, I don’t know how to not ask these questions;  I don’t know how to stop my mind careening dangerously around the bends of my life to arrive at a place where I am okay.  And only God can do it but is He even there and are the butterflies just my wish that He is really real and Zach is really there and this is really working together for good.  Isn’t that ridiculous to imagine – that a mother’s son is dead and that’s working toward some good?  His ways, God's ways, are not my ways.  His thoughts are not my thoughts.  My thoughts are deeply dark and just sad.  Sad.

Would I be thinking a different way if Zach had gone some other way?  I don’t wear those shoes so how can I know?  How can I know another mother’s grief when I can’t even decipher my own?  Sad.  Ugly.  Dark.

Maybe there is one other person this writing might help or ease the aloneness and sorrow over the too lateness, the unchangeable, the endless why’s and what if’s.  No matter how much it is said, no matter how much others wish it to not be so, I know that if Zach had been given another mother, a better mother, a different mother, that night wouldn’t be the nightmare.  And if I’d known, would I have given him up to that mother to change the ending - like the mother who gave her babe to keep him from being cut in half.  Could I be that mother?  How would a mother give up a son, but I do want a different ending, a different mother, a mother who could’ve known and helped and saved.  I wasn’t different.  I didn’t know.  I didn’t help.  I didn’t save.  Another mother I wasn’t.  I am just me and it wasn’t enough.  And how do I live with that?  How do I keep taking steps?  Michael, Taylor, Madison.  Step…step…step…faltering step by step.

If only.  I wish.  It’s too late.  Why God did you give him to me?  How can this be Your plan?  How can this be worked together for good?  Butterflies. ? ? ?  How why what if if only.  I’m Gideon.  I need the butterflies – even though right now this life minute I can hardly believe in them any more.  I’m broken.  It doesn’t feel like healing; it feels like hell.  I need to believe in butterflies even when I can’t.  Hear the prayers I can’t speak.  I don’t want to pray.  I’m too tired.  To heavy are the weighted shoes I wear. 

Isn’t truth that things have to continue the down spiral to bring the Savior back to gather us to Himself.  I don’t want a better world.  I don’t want the tides to turn.  I want to be swept up into the bosom of Christ and end this nightmare – seeing Zach in the light of the Lord’s face to face.  Trudge onward Christian soldier.  Wounded, bleeding, hopeless, toward the Hope that will heal.  Trudge on.  When will it be well with my soul?  Trudge on.  Lord make it so.

 Lord, why?  Why has this happened to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment