Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Butterfly Chronicles Volume 70: I Need Some Hope


Dear Zach,

Today I dialed the number for a family coping with serious health issues with their children.  Ring and I couldn’t catch my breath.  A noose around my neck threatened to force tears and gag my mouth.  I thought I would have to hang up.  Offering to set up a Care Calendar, I plummeted back to your death and the door bell rings and the 100 lb weight of a grief trying to open the door – the strength it took to try to be normal, to try not to break down, to try not to envy the food grace givers for their healthy children who came to give me or us a hug.  There came a time when I just couldn't answer the door – and some caretaker would answer it for me.  I want to help this family, Zach, but tragedy vacuums my lungs clean of air, and I gasp, and I cry, and I miss you.  I don’t have anything to give.   But I think I need to give. 


The tribe had lunch recently, parking at a Chuy’s table for so long we tipped the waiter twice.  We talked kids.  My heart so heavy, shoulders hunched, listening to other mothers talk about alive children and tears came.  Alone in a crowd with this heart hurt.  I spoke of regrets, of guilt, of  how every thought I think of you is my failure – pictures where you smile, it feels like I stole that life from you, and I can’t look.  Head barely above water, I sink.  Mom T. talked about sorry’s she still says to her kids for things she did or things she wish she’d done, or things she wished she wouldn't have done.  Like a stiff pair of shoes rubbing raw on the back of an ankle, the sorry’s I can’t say scrape and tear and suck at the raw places in my soul – deeper goes the guilt gash every day.

Zach, ask Paul.  Ask him for me about guilt.  Surely he lived with it, fought with it, struggled against it for all those murders – for all those Christ lovers he hated unto death.  Surely, he did.  Beth Moore said over my Ipad today that God gave her a gift of pain.   Zach, ask God to show me how pain can be a gift and to find a way through this pain to forgiveness.  Days go by, and I don’t want to face another.  Living is a molasses quick sand hand pulling me down into a dark decay of guilt.

How funny I could break into hysterical laughter at people who say, “It’s not your fault.  You did the very best you could.  You are a good mother.”  Really?  What grade do you get as a mother when your child takes his own life?  Are their boys dead, all buried away in a hole in the ground, bodies decaying?  How dare they say that to me.  But they don’t know, and I do know they don’t know. How could they know?  So I am quiet.   We can’t walk in each other’s shoes.  We can only open our hearts to each other and share kindness and love in the midst of all our warts.

Zach, ask Paul.  Ask David.  Ask Noah how it felt to hear the strangled cries of all those God haters.  Did all those dead hands flailing make him feel guilty? Did he fret and wonder over why God chose him for life or over why God chose them for death?  Were his dreams ever filled with the screams of the drowning?  Did David feel guilt over his sins with Bathsheba?  Did he ever wish his life over?  I think about this.  My shoulders hunch over, and I can’t answer the “How are you?” checker talk in the grocery line. What I know for sure is that it took God 13-ish years to take Joseph from the well meant for his evil to a kingdom where God changed evil to good.  Zach, I don’t know if I can wait 13 years or even a day. I don’t understand or see how this sad can ever be turned into glad – or this evil into good.

Why Zach?  There are so many sorry’s I wish I could say.  There are so many hugs, and I love you’s I can’t ever say.  I hope another mother will tell her son.  Tell her son how a suicide son kills his life and kills the lives of those who feel him dead.  Someday, God, let me look back on this burden of shame, regret, guilt, and all the sorry’s I can’t say – let me see how you painted evil into good.  It will be a miracle because alone I am one of the hopeless drowning.

 Zach, I’m sorry.  I would give anything to say sorry, to touch your warm face, and to see your happy’s and smiles and watch you grow up.  Some days I don’t believe in God.  But if I don’t, truly, what is the point?  I can’t give you up into nothingness.  I have to hold on to you in heaven. I struggle to hold onto that place of no more sorrow or pain or tears.  I struggle to believe it is real.  Your hug when you came in the dream tells me it is real, but can you come again?  Can you show me that slice of heaven again to pick me up, to help me carry on for another and another day?

Zach – ask God to show me his turning this evil into good. These scars weigh a body down.  Ask Him to give us hope.

I love you, son. I am sorry.
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment