Saturday, March 17, 2012

Butterfly Chronicles Volume 31: Broken Bones and Butterflies


Only He remains the same.
 
This past week, my nephew broke his leg – fibula and tibia all the way through to a leg waggle where that leg should’ve been straight and strong.  Drilling into the bone, the Docs inserted a never to be removed rod which his bone will eventually grow around.  Walk, they said.  Day after surgery, walk they said and he did.  Crutched, drip lines dangling vinelike from veins, he walked on that bone severed rod inserted leg.

Candy and snack laden, we went to visit this beautiful boy in the hospital.  I was ambushed by emotion – his pain, the damage, the drugged boy not quite himself but still him, all grown up but still the fair haired boy I held as a baby.  I was overcome.  Emotions tornadoing.  Relief that he was okay and a stake through the heart pain that even in this pain, he is still alive and I am so glad.  I couldn’t lose another.  No rod strong enough to hold together more broken heart.  And he’s still hurt and we still wait to see if all is well and pray.  But he breathes and I am thankful.

I thought in that hospital visitor’s chair that I would give anything to have Zach in a hospital bed with only something broken – even needing the rods inserted kind of broken but still breathing broken.  I am living a life where I don’t know who I am or who I’ll be or what will uncork the tear flow.  Today it was a chocolate butterfly in a plastic yellow butterfly dotted bag with a Godiva tag.  A gift.  And the tears seeped through the dam crack and then flooded and I had to hide in the bathroom – again and again.

And life keeps coming.  The culmination in sight, Taylor’s graduation is drifting unstoppable and ever closer.  Already wondering how I will feel watching that public slideshow memory march of Taylor’s babyhood to 12th year pinnacle on that slideshow screen.  How would a mother father grandparent aunt uncle not be teary even if Zach was here?  But Zach will be there on that screen loving his sister, them so close and together and smiling and breathing.  Heartbeats tapping through time, a rhythm of life joy.  And seeing that and we will just have to breathe through it.  All of us, never knowing if we’ll be smiling or so sad from the weight of ten thousand thousand tears.  We are all different and unsure of what happens in even the next moment.

Always asking the unanswerable questions – how did we get here? Why?  Why did this happen?  Why didn’t we know?  What could we have done?  An unending circle of endless questions with no door to open for answers.
 
And we are still recovering from two moves in 10 days and still unpacking and we are tired and bittersweet happy.  Together, Michael and I slowly unwrapped the plastic holding those Zach drawers shut.  Those drawers full because we couldn’t face the insides before.  Time now to empty them and give a new life to that dresser.  That dresser full of his life starting a new life.  Everything new everywhere – this whole life we live – all different and unknown and unsure.  And Zach there in every molecule of every item in every corner of those drawers we unpacked and repacked.  Tears dripping and heart pain throbbing and that panic ever pulsing at the back of my neck stealing my air.

His white ribbed “gangster” tank tops that became a joke between us sleep folded now on a shelf in my closet.  The green jersey he wore and warred in on that football field hangs lifeless, but I play the memories alive in me.  And Jonathan with his broken bones and rod breathes.  And I am so thankful for rods and broken bones.

If you meet me and I can’t look you in the eye, forgive me.  Sometimes I hide in the grocery store. If you invite me and I say no, forgive me.  If you call, sometimes I can’t answer even though I skip a beat wondering if there is tragedy on the other end of that ringing phone.  There is no moment when I am sure of what the next moment will feel like.  I don’t even know who looks back at me in the mirror.  The only thing I can think about who I am is that He knew me before there was time and He knit me together and holds me together and I am changed and only He remains the same.  These days seem harder than the first days.  The wall of numb fell like Jericho, and I am left standing wishing I was invisible.  Six months.
 
“Isolating?” asks Peter M.D.  I find that yes, I am doing that more and more, and I won’t tell him that and my friends will be pushy and limit the isolation, but it is survival.  There’s only so much real life I can survive right now.  And I never quite know when enough is too much.  I love that song that says “fear is just a lie.”  I hold on to that – that this fear I feel is just a lie.  What work God is doing I know not.   I can barely take one step after another and what work He is doing He will do.  It’s like I’m suspended again in the pre-birth amniotic fluid waiting to be reborn – this place of being so weak that letting Him walk me is easy because I’m too weak to get in His way with my way for once.  And every day, He gives me butterflies.  And I believe Zach is in those butterflies and knows about those butterflies.  And I tell him hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment