Friday, November 4, 2011

The Author of Neverendings


Last week, commencing on Friday and culminating in the gala event on Sunday, I RSVP’d to a black tie formal pity party.  I wallowed in it.  Refused to talk myself out it.  Succumbed to the sultry seductive hiss, hiss, hiss of Satan’s licking lies massaging my brain.  Whispering failure, regret.  Blowing a hot breath of doubt, fear, guilt, shame, and caressing my mind close to the gaping hole of evil’s heart of darkness.

I knew what I was doing. Over and over, I kept reminding myself that walking or not through this open door to black, empty darkness is an everyday choice.  At any moment, I could choose to pray my way out of it.  My hand could turn on the light in my soul, and I could reenter the peace and presence of God.  But I didn’t want to, said no, slid deeper.  I was so tired.  So sad.  So debilitated by it all.  I couldn’t even pray. Yep, I wallowed – like a pig in slop – gowned in manure fully aware of the stench.

     “Did you ever have days when you couldn’t pray?” I eeked out between tears splashing on the keyboard.

     “He hears your groanings,” she replied knowing it is true because He answered hers.

On Sunday, I gave up.  Gave it all up.  Poured the garbage into my journal.  Begged God to stop the seductive voice of counterfeit truth, to refresh, heal, expunge, bleach me back to light, not even knowing if I truly believed He could.  And He did.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?

Grief is okay.  Jesus wept.  Moderation is the golden nugget.  The Truth is that when we allow grief to overwhelm us to the point where it impacts our ability to function in life and carry out God’s plans for us, then it is no longer grief.  It is sin.  And I was sinking in it until dumping it out at the throne of grace.

I’m heartbroken.  But I have to remember that is not all I am.  I am the blessed mother of three unbelievable children who take my breath away.  Zach is Home.  The girls daily paint my life with their laughter, hugs, smiles, tears, and love and daily teach me life is still full of joy, and reason, and God.  I am a wife with the gift of a husband who cradles my sobbing shell in his arms until the flesh and bones and blood come back to feeling life and not death, who lives the promises he made at “I do,” who makes me so much better than I could ever be alone, who practices love as a verb.  I am a member of an earthly family and a family in Christ who circle around me like Spartan warriors protecting my gossamer skin, no longer thick and calloused, from the tail of the slashing dragon.

Because I am redeemed, I can halt that serpent’s whisperings of sweet nothings in my ear.  When it is quiet, God reminds me that for Zach, death is not loss; it is gain. It is eternal presence in His light. God hears and sees and recalls to my mind that He is the Author of the happiest of neverendings.  Zach is in His presence living that adventure.  In Christ, I can rest, and I can wonder at how green the heavenly lacrosse fields must be…

2 comments:

  1. When I saw you yesterday you looked more at peace, refreshed, alive. May God continue to restore and heal you as only He can! You do have a multitude of blessings in your sweetheart, your beautiful girls, amazing family and steady friends. When you are in the dark it is hard to see...as I have been there and it is a downward spiral if we let it grip and take hold. After Eden, we are in the garden of life with sin, death, decay all around. It is tough and without Jesus I cannot imagine how others survive. When I mentioned that "we all have our own row to hoe" I did not mean it in a calloused way. There were so many times in praying for you that I literally felt only in a very small way your grief, ache, tears that moved me to weep and cry out on your behalf and your family's for mercy and peace from our Heavenly Father. You are such an amazing woman of God and friend that I wanted God to take it all away, much like I do for my own children when they are faced with the pains of this world. God gently reminded me that I cannot pray away or take away anything, HE alone is able. I want to reach out, and help make it all better HE alone is the healer. Thus we each have "our own row to hoe".
    Praying that you feel HIM carrying you, HIM strengthening you, HIM giving you HIS peace and HIM wrapping you in HIS love. Rejoicing with you that Zach is having a great game on those green fields!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I weep with you... for your hurt and anguish. And I am incredibly thankful that the Comforter lives within you, Beth. That you can grieve with hope... and that when our sorrow is deep and our faith is small, that God reaches the rest of the way and pulls us up and out of our despair.

    We will not be whole until we reach Heaven ourselves one day... but God will hold us together until we get there.

    PS the thought of lacrosse fields in heaven makes me SMILE and laugh! i bet they will be level fields too! :-)

    ReplyDelete